Sunday 11 August 2013

YU FRUITBOWL: Bowl Manufacture

This was the part of the task that I was least excited about. Last time I created my fruit-bowl it was smaller and didn’t hold a lot of fruit. At the beggining of this process I decided to make my bowl about 20mm bigger in width and height in order to hold a decent amount of fruit whilst the pattern can still be seen on the edges.

After my ten fruit bowls were cut I had to pop out some of the smaller shapes that were still attached. Then I decided to sand the edges of all of the fruit bowls first. Instead of finishing one-by-one I tried to do everything to all of them at the same time. I found the sanding process a lot easier to do in the workshop however I completed most of the sanding at home.

I sanded the edges on each bowl for about 15 minutes and sanded the faces of the bowl for 10 either side. My time management was not entirely spot on  during this process so I only had about a week to complete the manufacture of my ten fruit bowls. This was a really tiring process and after a while became extremely boring. I struggled to put off procrastinating to get it done properly.

Last time I sanded my fruit bowl I ended up with a white powder substance that stuck into all of the crevices of my bowl. It was extremely difficult to remove and the when it was polished the orange colour of the polish made it look even worse. Keeping this in mind I made sure to thoroughly wash and dry my bowl after sanding and polishing.

I decided to polish all of my bowls in the workshop because I was worried of having the orange polish go dry and become stuck onto my work. Fortunately, I found that the water gurney in the workshop was magnificent in getting all of the polish out of the crevices. After polishing a bowl on both sides for about 10 minutes each side I then took that bowl to the sink and soaked it with the water gurney targeting areas that had the polish stuck in small spaces. After this I immediately dried the bowl with a fresh towel so any leftover remnants of polish would be wiped away and the bowl would maintain it’s black colour.

Finally I bent my ten fruit bowls 5 with the help of Richard and 5 without. It was safe to say bending the fruitbowls with only two hands was alot more difficult.  



No comments:

Post a Comment