Monday 12 August 2013

Gossamer by Karina: Final Box Iteration




left: final iteration / right: 2nd 1:1 iteration

For the final iteration I focused on minimizing the 2nd 1:1 iteration to save on cardboard material and also so the bowl could fit properly inside. This process took a lot of time because unlike the other experiments, this one needed measurements to be trimmed rather than scaled. What I learnt from the previous iterations was that the template had to remain in square form making each edge equal to the one opposite. In order to retain this cubic form, I placed the original template on rhino, and experimented with trimming the edges. I managed to create a lid coverage of 320 x 320 mm, although this was smaller than the longest length of the bowl (335mm) I found that the rotated square base (not parallel to the lid) and it’s connecting triangular faces created more space. As a result, once tested and built with plain paper, the bowl was able to fit perfectly. With a couple of minor measurement changes along the way, I used this final template to create the 10 boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment