Saturday 10 August 2013

FANFARE: Bowl Production


Producing multiples of the fanfare




Once the bowls had been laser cut, I sanded the edges so they were polished and smooth, before beginning the heating process.    Instead of using the oven I heated each strip on the bowls individually over a strip heater before bending the folds on a jig that I constructed.   There is a fine line between under and over heating the acrylic, with each bringing consequences that ruin the quality and finish of the material.   Having to produce 10 bowls means that I am now very familiar with the heating process, especially on clear acrylic where cracks and bubbles are noticeably evident if not heated correctly.    

Having to produce ten bowls at first did not seem like that many; it was only when production commenced that I realised ten was definitely a challenge, especially when trying to produce ten quality bowls that were of a high, market quality.  Initially I was a lot slower with the production process, but by the time I got to the last bowl I had more than halved the original time it took for me to produce them.   Once the bowls had been heated, I polished and cleaned them with windex and water, before attaching the swing tags and packaging them in the boxes. 

- Emma Chegwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment