Monday 12 August 2013

Gossamer by Karina: Box Iterations (mock up models)




 

After seeing other students use books from the library to gather inspiration, I decided to borrow three - Structural Package Designs and Special Packaging by Joost Baardman, and Packaging Templates edited by Ju Hai. To choose the final box design, I created a process of elimination where I chose 10 from each, 7 from each, 5 from each then 3 all together. For the final three designs I decided to print out the templates given to A3 size and make them to gain a three dimensional perspective.

Out of the three, I found the last design the most structurally interesting however used the most cardboard.  I decided to resolve the problem through experimentation: by slicing the mock up model in half I would be using material economically and maybe come up with a completely unique design. Slicing the template required shifting and deleting line work from the original given template on illustrator. The experimentation turned out to be successful with the original structure still intact, however by cutting the template in half, the position of the base had changed which required shifting the line work of base supports such as inner and outer flaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment