Monday 12 August 2013

Gossamer by Karina: Graphics on the box




Because the shape of my box doesn't allow for a banner, I found this an opportunity to use the box’s form to my advantage. I originally was only going to put one triangle of information only (the story) however, I needed a way to display my bowl apart from the window on the lid so I added an additional triangle with an image 2 weeks before the due date. I printed the triangles on canvas photo paper I bought at Officeworks for a glossy, bumpy texture that would contrast with the cardboard’s colour. 

The problems that occurred during this process were mostly due to the printing: 

  • Using new paper required a couple of tests and adjustments of the printer in order for the ink to sink in properly
  • My printer tends to over-ink making what I had created on illustrator darker than what was displayed on screen
For the lid of the boxes I wanted to put something that would clearly show the logo and the fruit bowl’s name. Initially I wanted to spray paint this onto the box, however because of time constraints, I had to find a process that would display this design idea quicker. I chose to experiment with printing on clear sticker paper and after researching into the availability of this material, I found a printer store that could only print A3 sizes if the paper was clear and glossy.  Visually I wasn't too happy with the overall coverage of the box, had the lid sticker been white, maybe the outer graphics would have related more to each other but it would have also completely cover the uniqueness of the box’s structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment