Monday 12 August 2013

Gossamer by Karina: Market Day


Selling my fruit bowls at Carriageworks market was a great experience for me because although the thought of talking and trying to convince market goers to buy my bowl freaked me out, I was able to learn many things and towards the end reevaluate my overall design ethic and selling technique. 

From what I gathered from market day, the most important observation I found was that the mass market generally preferred consistency and had  a "less is more" attitude towards design and materiality. Even after everything's finished, realising what appealed to the mass market during that day will always be important.  If ever I get the chance to sell my fruit bowls again, I would be able to recreate or improve the way I design and create according to what customers really want to see and buy. Although what I presented to the market weren't exactly simple or consistent, I was still able to sell 8 out of 10 bowls which I thought was pretty good considering the variety of fruit bowls the customers got to choose from. Other than observing what the mass market wanted for future reference, I really did enjoy the experience of selling our individual products that we as a class worked extremely hard on to complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment