Thursday 11 September 2014

- Bending the bowls - Post 4 - Sean Lurie





Bending the bowls was the icing on the cake. It was the last step in manufacturing the bowls and marked the end of the 'hands on' part of the project.

After countless hours of sanding I was finally ready to bend my bowls. I came into the workshop, switched on the oven and got everything ready. I ensured that the wok was wrapped correctly so as to not transfer any grit onto the bowls and got out the necessary tools and materials.

One by one we put the bowls in, timed how long they were in for and when ready carefully removed them and bent them over the mould. This process is a critical one as it is when the most can go wrong. It can spell disaster if not done correctly.

However, careful planning and a keen eye meant that all my bowls were correctly bent and where completely finished.

Now to look toward the market day!

No comments:

Post a Comment